Need a conversation starter while you’re waiting on line for popcorn this weekend? Well, some of the most-buzzed-about movies of the season happen to have lohud connections. Here are 5 local reasons to watch ‘Stars Wars’ and more new releases.
1. “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”: The most-anticipated film of the year was directed by JJ Abrams. Before he became and award-winning filmmaker, Abrams was a liberal arts major at Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville. He cowrote his first screenplay in his senior year.
2. “Sisters”: Scenes from the comedy starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were filmed in Westchester and Rockland last year. See if you can spot locations in Haverstraw, Pearl River and White Plains.
3. “Creed”: The “Rocky” spin-off’s stellar cast includes longtime Mount Vernon resident Phylicia Rashad. The “Cosby Show” mom plays Apollo Creed’s widow Mary Anne Creed, who steps in to raise the boxer’s son Adonis even though he is the product of her husband’s extramarital affair.
4. “In the Heart of the Sea”: The just-released drama about the real events that inspired Herman Melville’s “Moby Dick” is directed by Oscar winner Ron Howard, who called Armonk home for more than two decades.
5. “Carol”: Bedford-raised actress Rooney Mara delivers a Golden Globe-nominated performance in this drama about a department store clerk who falls in love with an older, married woman in the 1950s.